Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bursted bubbles

When the sun finally set upon the one-month info-packed internship programme, we the interns were ready to be unleashed upon the workplace. I felt like all my ducks were in a row, and that I was ready to plunge into the world of work, head first.

Sure enough, things fell into place quite nicely. The following week, I had three interviews lined up. In fact, my schedule to meet prospective employers was so tight; two of these interviews were scheduled on the same day. Yes, I took it all in my stride and marched into the future with a bit of a spring in my walk... things were coming together quite nicely...

By the end of that week, I spared some time and thought to consider the feelings of the two employers whose hearts I might have to 'devastate' by turning down their job offers. (Laughable!) With great compassion, I drafted a generic “corporate” Dear John letter - in my mind. I was going to let them down… gently.

But alas! By the end of the following week, my prospective employers beat me to it and completely burst my bubble. They sent me not one, not two, but three “Thank you for your interest in our company, but regret to inform you that…” sorry messages. Grrhhh!!

But all was not lost. You see, the prospective employers were gracious enough to point out areas where I was completely out of my depth and their constructive criticisms will help me improve and better prepare for my next interview. (... have I acquired a taste for limonade or what?)

Fellow intern, be fore-armed with a thick skin to survive the interview process and its possible outcomes.

Tip: Your job has your name on it. If you do not succeed to bag the job after the first, second, third… interviews, don't despair! Stop. Breathe. Focus and march on to the next interview... the pot (job)at the end of your rainbow beckons!

6 comments:

Thomas Michael Blaser said...

Susan, it is difficult to deal with rejection. But I feel you show the right attitude and I agree with you, you will land the job you desire. I am still waiting for an answer from my interview. It is a difficult exercise as there are always issues that come up for which we are not prepared. I understand how important the cultural fit is. In the interview, it is all about fitting in. We should perhaps exchange a bit more our experiences from the interviews. Out there, I am sure, a great interview and an even better job is waiting for you!

Valentin said...

Dear Susan, it is really nice that you share your experience of the interview(s). More of us should do the same, as Ijeoma said.
Despite the fact that one fails, it is really important that they understand in what areas they could improve and do better next time. I also speak from my own experince of interviews!
I still believe that the jobs that we will find sooner or later, we will realy enjoy them with all our hearts.
Quite often the last job offer is the luckiest one and it comes to you in a moment that you least expect, but for which you are the most prepared. Let it be!
However, we'll see!

Susan Arthur said...

Hard luck, hold thumbs that you'll have a fourth time lucky? Keep your chin up - remember Wanjiku said applying for a job is a numbers game

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Susan M., very incisive article in FM Campus. Big ups girl!!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Susan M., it seems to me that you really didn't want the Brunswick job (is that what you blogged about?). That's another side to the interview game. What if you are sent to an organisation that does not align with your career objectives? One doesn't really want to deviate too much at this stage in life (speaking for myself). If you're 20 or 25 then you can start from the bottom of the heap, but when you have some work experience it really sucks!!

Adam N. Mukendi said...

Hola Susan!
Thanks, We should stay positive. As Maxwell wrote, your difference to a commodity crowd is not your knowledge but your energy to get up when you fall or fail. We fall down but we get up says Donnie Mcclarkin. Heads-up, what is yours- belongs to you alone. Thanks for you tip. Keep smiling-life is good.
Adam