Tuesday, July 3, 2007

My ship finally docks

When Paul Kapelus, CEO of the African Institute of Corporate Citizenship (AICC) made his presentation on mentorship at the Growing Tomorrow's Leaders workshop in June, he said that interns at his organisation were thrown to the deep-end of the business and they were expected to learn the ropes and swim to shore... quickly.

Fast Forward... 30 days later... and believe me, Paul meant business...

This week marks a new dawn in my career. The first day was a time of induction into the organisation. I spent a good chunk of my time hoping from desk to desk interacting with my colleagues and getting the low-down on the on-going projects. On the second day, I was assigned the task of drafting AICC’s Communication Policy along with a more seasoned colleague. I am still getting my head around this task.

In an organization this tight, there is no falling through the cracks!

Something else:
It is possible that I took to AICC like a duck to water because of its family-like bond (you should have seen the reception the 6-month old baby of a colleague got yesterday from the staff... yo! Did I mention our happy faces and merry chatting that fills the boardroom over lunch?) or perhaps it is because the AICC canoe is paddled by half-a-dozen Wits alumni... (mostly WoW-graduates, if I may add).

Something in my heart tells me that I am in the right place. The truth is, I have mixed feelings - a part of me is excited immensely and yet another is intimidated by the challenge ahead...

4 comments:

Susan Arthur said...

Wow, drafting the communications strategy - sounds like exciting stuff! I'd be interested to hear more about how it goes and how you go about doing it.

Don't worry, I think the mixed feelings are common, especially in the beginning! Just take the internship experience as it comes, each task at a time, without getting too stressed about the challenges in the long term. Believe that you are a competent person, an asset to the team, and don't downplay your role as intern (see my blog).

In the office we had a similar reception for a colleague's baby daughter last week - it's nice to work in a small, friendly environment. Keep us posted!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

I am extremely pleased that your 'ship' docked at the right harbour. It sounds like a very interesting organisation to work for, I had a sense of that listening to Paul at the mentoring workshop. I also remember how you said to me ''I must get Lesley to organise an interview with Paul''. I will track yours and Valentin's progress there with great interest. All the best!!

Thomas Michael Blaser said...

Excellente! I am glad that you are happy where you have finally landed. I think it is always a bit daunting to start something new. I mean its frightening to be docked in one place from one day to another. I am confident you will do well with all the talents that you have.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan

I can hear the excitement in your voice..I am sure that this is the begining of a tremendous journey..and no one could be more proud of you than I..your dear sis and also a former WOW student. Go out there with your eyes wide open and clear mind..the world is your play ground...go play!!